Why is it necessary to submit a birth certificate for passport issuance to an underage child?

According to the Law on Travel Documents, an application for passport issuance to a minor is to be submitted by a parent with the consent of the other. Being that the parents of the child are identified on the basis of the birth certificate, it is necessary to enclose along with the passport application form, the childs birth certificate not older than six months from the date of issue.

2109 E Street, NW
Washington, D.C. 20037 USA Tel. (1 202) 337-1500 Fax (1 202) 337-1502